Thursday, February 3, 2011

Lesson Three: Run-Ons

Oh my Gosh these last three days have been so intangibly amazing since I've been watching Parks and Rec and doing other equally absent-minded activities cooking's been fun too testing out the Martha Stewart in me although I could never be as good as a culinary convict unfortunately, I've also been a little addicted to facebook, but what else is new also, our cat Goose keeps licking my feet.

At this point, are you ready to take the computer screen and bash it into your brain? If this was one of those "pieces of art" essays that I read from my ever-intuitive students, then I'd be thinking to myself, "WTF?!"

For some reason, and if you have the answer pretty please track me down, students incessantly struggle with run-on sentences. Even some of the best students can't decipher when the sentence screams, "End now!" I don't know if it's because students, and Americans in general, are crazily busy, running from one task to the other. Or possibly it's a result of verbal (and written) diarrhea - everyone's favorite. Better yet, and yes Aristotle I think I've stumbled upon it, it could be laziness. No matter what the cause for the run-on sentence disease is, I think this disease has run on into my life this week.

Sadly, I fail to quench your thirst of my usual rant of bashing and bemoaning student behavior because I have only had the pleasure of a single day of infamy in the school house this week. The snowmaggedon, or blizzard 2011 as everyone's posting on facebook, has blocked entry into the fount of knowledge....sad day. Although the break has been nice because I've been imitating a sloth, trying to get it right, the snow days have been running on...count em, Dan-o...

1.

2.

3.

3 Snow Days

And these run-on snow days have sounded a little like the wretched, run-on sentence that I forced you to read when I so grandiosely opened this blog.

So, no earth-shattering acumen from the teaching world to offer the masses today...just a little metaphor, if you will. Snow days = one, big, hairy run-on sentence.

But I like big, hairy, sentences....that are punctuated correctly!

2 comments:

  1. I can handle a run-on sentence as long as commas are used to separate different thoughts!

    ReplyDelete